History of Celtic Music
Celtic music is defined as music that originates from the countries of Ireland, Scotland and Wales. The people who live in these locations are known as Celts, which is how the music became known as Celtic music. Celtic music is best described as a type of folk music with a distinctive music and lyrics. And, today Celtic music is played and heard not only in Ireland, Scotland and Wales, but also on a worldwide stage.
Celtic music can be defined also as music of the Celt people and has been around for several centuries. Some of the common instruments heard in Celtic music include violin, lute, flute, bagpipe, hard and several other commonly heard instruments. While Celtic music covers various types of music, it is popular for dancing as well as having music sung as a ballad. Celtic music tends to be as varied as a rousing dance tune or as tender as a song about a mother’s love.
While Celtic music has been traced back to the 1600's, it is still one of the world's most popular musical genres. Musicians such as Clannad, Enya, The Chieftains and The Corrs are some of the more famous Celtic musicians of the day. We have put together a few pages of information on Celtic music for you to browse. We hope you enjoy learning more about this musical genre.
Origins of Celtic Music
- What is Celtic Music? - Information on the origins and history or Celtic music, as well as a definition of this type of music.
- Ancient Celtic Music - Background information on the origins and a description of Celtic music.
- Celtic Music – Site providing information and links to musicians, music and other information on music.
- Celtic Culture – Overview of the culture of the Celts over the course of history, including information about music.
- Ireland Music and Culture – Helpful site containing information on the history of the music of Ireland.
- Celtic Music Origins – Useful information about the beginnings of Celtic music and a description of the type of music.
- Bagpipe History – Historical look at the invention and usage of the bagpipe in Scottish music.
- The Music of Scotland – Informative article providing a look at the history of music in Scotland.
- Scotland’s Songs – Useful site discussing the instruments and music in the music played in Scotland.
- Scottish Folk Music – Helpful page with information about the origins and history of folk music in Scotland.
- Celtic Musicians – Database of performers of Celtic music found throughout the world.
- Enya – Official website of the Celtic songstress with information on her albums, songs and tours.
- The Chieftains – Information on the Irish based musical group with information on their music.
- The Coors – Informative site with information on the Celtic group’s songs and history of the quartet.
Celtic Music Resources
By Eoin Kavanagh