Celtic Music HistoryIn this section we look at the history of Celtic Music, providing lots of useful resources for further education and research on this wonderful art form.
Celtic music is defined as music that originates from the countries of Ireland, Scotland and Wales. The people who live in these locations are known as Celts, which is how the music became known as Celtic music. Celtic music is best described as a type of folk music with a distinctive music and lyrics. And, today Celtic music is played and heard not only in Ireland, Scotland and Wales, but also on a worldwide stage.
Celtic music can be defined also as music of the Celt people and has been around for several centuries. Some of the common instruments heard in Celtic music include violin, lute, flute, bagpipe, harp and several other commonly heard instruments. While Celtic music covers various types of music, it is popular for dancing as well as having music sung as a ballad. Celtic music tends to be as varied as a rousing dance tune or as tender as a song about a mother’s love.
While Celtic music has been traced back to the 1600's, it is still one of the world's most popular musical genres. Musicians such as Clannad, Enya, The Chieftains and The Corrs are some of the more famous Celtic musicians of the day. We have put together a few pages of information on Celtic music for you to browse. We hope you enjoy learning more about this musical genre.
Origins of Celtic Music
- What is Celtic Music? - Information on the origins and history or Celtic music, as well as a definition.
- Ancient Celtic Music - Background information on the origins and a description of Celtic music.
- Celtic Culture – Overview of the culture of the Celts over the course of history, including music.
- Celtic Music Origins – Useful information about the beginnings of traditional Celtic music.
- A History of Irish Music – Informative page with information on the history of music in Ireland.
- Traditional Irish Music – The origins of traditional Irish music are documented in this helpful article.
- Traditional Music of Ireland – Helpful information on the traditional music heard and played in Ireland.
- The Music of Scotland – Informative article providing a look at the history of music in Scotland.
- Celtic Musical Instruments – Information on various types of instruments generally heard in Celtic Music.
- Celtic Instruments – Helpful page of information on Celtic instruments, sound and maintenance.
- The Dublin Legends - Members of iconic Folk Group ‘The Dubliners’.
- The Chieftains – Information on the Irish based musical group with information on their music.
- The Coors – Informative site with information on the Celtic group’s songs and history of the quartet.
Celtic Music Resources
- Celtic Music Links - Collection of links that are related to Celtic music, instruments, musicians and festivals.
- Irish Traditional Music Course – Dublin College University (DCU) module on Irish traditional music.
- Encyclopedia of Traditional Celtic Music - Useful information & resources covering different parts of music.
- Irish and Celtic Music Links – Collection of links and information on podcasts of Celtic performers.
- Celtic Music Information - Overview of Celtic music with a number of helpful links to various areas of music.
- Music Resources – Links to downloadable music in midi format or printable for playing on an instrument.
Did You Know?
Music was so important to the ancient Celts that a group evolved called the Bards. Bards were wandering singers, storytellers and poets. A scornful Bard could destroy your reputation with a single song.