Celtic music is defined as music that originates from the countries of Ireland, Scotland and Wales. The people who live in these locations are known as Celts, which is how the music became known as Celtic music. Celtic music is best described as a type of folk music with a distinctive music and lyrics. And, today Celtic music is played and heard not only in Ireland, Scotland and
Celtic music can be defined also as
While Celtic music has been traced back to the 1600's, it is still one of the world's most popular musical genres. Musicians such as Clannad, Enya, The Chieftains and The Corrs are some of the more famous Celtic musicians of the day. We have put together a few pages of information on Celtic music for you to browse. We hope you enjoy learning more about this musical genre.
Origins of Celtic Music
- What is Celtic Music? - Information on the origins and history or Celtic music, as well as a definition.
- Ancient Celtic Music - Background information on the origins and a description of
- Celtic Music – Site providing information and links to musicians, music and other information on music.
- Celtic Culture – Overview of the culture of the Celts over the course of history, including music.
- Ireland Music and Culture – Helpful site containing information on the history of the music of Ireland.
- Celtic Music Origins – Useful information about the beginnings of traditional Celtic music.
- A History of Irish Music – Informative page with information on the history of music in Ireland.
- Irish Music – Historical look at the growth of music in Ireland over the past several generations.
- Traditional Irish Music – The origins of traditional Irish music are documented in this helpful article.
- Traditional Music of Ireland – Helpful information on the traditional music heard and played in Ireland.
- Bagpipe History – Historical look at the invention and usage of the bagpipe in Scottish music.
- The Music of Scotland – Informative article providing a look at the history of music in Scotland.
- Scotland’s Songs – Useful site discussing the instruments and music in the music played in Scotland.
- Scottish Folk Music – Helpful page with information about the origins and history of folk music in Scotland.
- Celtic Musical Instruments – Information on various types of instruments generally heard in Celtic Music.
- Musical Instruments – Site providing information on instruments heard during the Renaissance era.
- Scottish and Celtic Musical Instruments – Useful site with pictures and descriptions.
- Celtic Instruments – Helpful page of information on Celtic instruments, sound and maintenance.
- Celtic Musicians – Database of performers of Celtic music found throughout the world.
- Enya – Official website of the Celtic songstress with information on her albums, songs and tours.
- The Chieftains – Information on the Irish based musical group with information on their music.
- The Coors – Informative site with information on the Celtic group’s songs and history of the quartet.
Celtic Music Resources
- Celtic Music Links - Collection of links that are related to Celtic music, instruments, musicians and festivals.
- Celtic Musical Resources – Collection of resources on the songs, singers, groups and other topics in music.
- Celtic Music Resources in Wales – Information on various musical performers that are based in Wales.
Encyclopediaof Traditional Celtic Music - Useful information & resources covering different parts of music.
- Irish and Celtic Music Links – Collection of links and information on podcasts of Celtic performers.
- Celtic Music Information - Overview of Celtic music with a number of helpful links to various areas of music.
- Music Resources – Links to downloadable music in midi format or printable for playing on an instrument.
Did You Know?
Music was so important to the ancient Celts that a group evolved called the Bards. Bards were wandering singers, storytellers and poets. A scornful Bard could destroy your reputation with a single song.